I got a Greetings from Karen Commins postcard in the mail and I was fascinated. Here was a new take on postcards: a voiceover artist who uses postcards to market her services. And I was lucky enough to have a conversation about that. But it didn’t end there. Karen, first and foremost, is a storyteller. And what great stories. You can hear about how she:
- Named a helicopter her class bought with S&H Green Stamps for the local police department
- Had her first stint on TV — in 5th grade — after writing a winning essay
- Contacted the biggest name in voiceover work when she was getting started…and Frank Muller wrote back with advice
- Used Barry Manilow’s birthday as a postcard marketing event
- Recommends using a return address on postcards
- Answers the question if Nellie Bly sent postcards in her race around the world that started in 1889
- Offers a free audio book about Nellie Bly to the first five Postcardist listeners who write here at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sent me down a rabbit hole for stereo viewer cards…yikes!
Thanks so much for being on the Postcardist podcast, Karen!